It seemed like a good idea. Mostly because I was feeling insecure about not being a “cool” mom anymore. I think I used to be more fun. Actually, I’m 100% certain I used to be more fun. So, we went off on a quest for fun. Don’t worry. I was smart about it. I picked a day when we’d been busy running errands and I was exhausted. I made sure Thomas would be working late. These things are guaranteed to make a mom more fun, right? Right.
For the record, I think you should be immediately suspicious of any activity where step one is “Melt 3 cups of gummy bears.” I’ve met melted gummy bears. Those things end up all over EVERYTHING. I was unwilling to throw in the towel though. So onward we went.
Here’s how to make edible slime:
- Give up on any hope of your home ever being clean again. Your kitchen is probably already a mess because you did just cook dinner. Embrace that. Soon you will have melted gummy bears literally on every surface of your kitchen.
- Send 3 cups of innocent gummy bears to their molten lava doom. They don’t deserve this. But, heck, neither do you. You guys are all in this together.
- Melt them and melt them and melt them until they look like one big rainbow flavored soup.
- Give every kid their own bowl and spoons. You really want to maximize the amount of dishes you need to do afterward.
- Disperse the gummy bear goop into their bowls. It will likely get into their hair at this point. Keep going.
- Have them add equal parts cornstarch (non-GMO of course!) and powdered sugar.
- Feel really really stupid for forking over the extra 39 cents for non-GMO cornstarch when you realize the remaining ingredients are basically sugar and food coloring.
- Pick a band-aid out of the slime & keep stirring.
- Let them use their hands. Also their faces. Heck, even the toddler might put her toes in hers. I’m not judging.
- Sample your delicious sticky sugar. Wrap it up in plastic wrap to save for tomorrow but remember that the sugar ants will likely eat it all up for the sun rises.
- Crash on the couch. Decide that being a cool mom might be overrated.
Edible slime, my friends. That’s all there is to it!